06.06.16. Société Camerounaise des Dépôts Pétroliers (SCDP) is planning to extend its installations to the Bakassi peninsula, once the centre of a long border conflict with Nigeria.
The Cameroonian oil depot company wants to build a storage terminal for oil products in the area, located in south-west Cameroon, as part of the state’s regional development plans.
The government is also encouraging settlement by Cameroon nationals since the decision of the Hague Tribunal in October 2002 acknowledging the sovereignty of Cameroon over the territory. Currently the majority of the population is Nigerian.
A peninsula, Bakassi is reputed to be rich in oil and other resources. Pamol, a public company operating in the palm oil sector, is currently expanding its farms by about 500 ha in Bakassi.
SCDP is 51 percent by Cameroon government agencies, with the remaining 49 percent owned by private investors including fuel distributor Corlay Petroleum and subsidiaries of French oil major Total.

6th June 2016